Monday, June 4, 2012

Sewing Machine

I've been a sewing machine (pun intended) yesterday and this morning.  I bought material with the intention of making me a cover-up for my bathing suit.  (Trust me, this sounds more adventurous than it really was.  There was already elastic in the bust of the material, so all I had to do was basically cut the material and sew straight seams.  Well, TRY to sew straight seams.)  I made my cover-up and had enough extra fabric to make one for my niece so she can be my Mini-Me.  I still had enough material left over to make a third cover-up.  My sisters can fight over it...or bribe me.  (My favorite candy bar is a Snickers.)

While I had the sewing machine out, I decided to tackle the mending pile.  (I have a drawer in the closet that we put anything that needs mending.  I try to get to the pile once a year or so...depending on how quickly the pile grows out of the drawer.)  So, I cut off some of Matt's dress pants that lost the battle with the washer one-too-many times and made them into shorts.  (I'm so not a seamstress.  I can't sew a straight line to save my life.  I figure Matt can just lean a little if the legs aren't quite even.)  Then, I operated on a pair of swim trunks.  The sewn-in cord broke around the waistband, so I had to rip open the seams, remove the cord and re-thread a new cord through the waistband.  (Keaton better thank me profusely for this project because this one definitely pushed me over my patience quota for the day.)  Next, I mended a cardigan, a back pack and five dog toys. 

Life is good.  We now have an empty drawer in the closet and another project crossed off my "to do" list.  See you again next year, sewing machine!