Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our Trip to Hell and Back

We went to Hell and back last weekend.  Seriously.  We visited Hell, Michigan while we were camping in nearby Pinckney.  Matt and his partner (his adventure race partner...this isn't Jerry Springer) had their Spring Fling race last Saturday.  (Hey, wait a minute...Spring Fling?  Matt doesn't have a "partner".)  Matt and his partner (maybe I should clarify...his race partner) were in the lead after the canoeing portion of the race.  They said they did well biking.  But, orienteering was challenging for them both.  Each had ideas about where they were and the best way to get there.  They couldn't agree quickly about the best route to take.  (I personally think they're beginning to sound like an old married couple.)  Over the winter, they took a search and rescue class and are now officially certified not to get lost in the woods.  Somehow, their training didn't really give them extra help and they finished five minutes after their allotted time.  They were so disappointed.  So, after they showered and dosed up on ibuprofen, we went to Hell.  We stopped for ice cream (who knew you could get ice cream there?) and looked around a bit.  It was interesting...not as hot as I was expecting.  There wasn't any fire or brimstone.  Nobody with horns.  It was actually a cute little drive-by kind of town.  I imagine my hell would be something completely cluttered, disorganized, and dirty...and I wouldn't have any cleaning supplies or my label maker.

So, we enjoyed our first weekend of camping for the year.  Keaton came home to babysit Cyrus.  Keaton had some friends over and this time none of the neighbors called the police.  Whew!  We came home and Keaton had a nice big bag waiting for me for Mother's Day.  He bought me a plant, some jewelry, and (best of all) a Snickers.  He just may win the "Son of the Year" award again this year.  Matt washed the motor home and I got to spend the rest of the day watching movies that Matt and Keaton won't watch with me.  Cyrus, however, cuddled with me and enjoyed watching the movies.  He just may be my favorite now...until someone brings me a Snickers.