Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Petoskey & Interlochen

We just enjoyed another round of camping and kayaking adventures.  We visited Petoskey and Interlochen (near Traverse City), MI.  It was gorgeous! We went with our neighborhood camping buddies and met up with our other former neighborhood camping buddies in Petoskey. We enjoyed visiting, campfires, good food, games, lots of laughing, and kayaking down the Jordan River together.  Well, kind of.  I did not care for the Jordan River.  It was pretty, but...it was narrow, had a fast current and had WAY too many people in it.  I definitely did not like the rapids either.  I'm a lazy kayaker and would rather paddle slowly so I can look around and enjoy the scenery.  So, three hours of winding down the Jordan River and dodging so many trees, rocks, canoes and kayaks definitely was rewarded with some frozen cocktails when we got back to the campground.  Matt enjoyed some more eventful kayaking with the guys. I, on the other hand, about had a heart attack when the brakes on the Jeep were blown and my foot touched the floorboard when I tried to stop after dropping the guys off.  Not fun. But, again, I rewarded myself with a frozen cocktail when I finally (and thankfully) made it back to the campground.  We ended up having to tow the Jeep with the motor home and were lucky to be able to drop it off at a garage on the way to Interlochen...and lucky to be able to turn around and not get stuck!


So, we arrived in Interlochen State Park and set up camp with a beautiful overlook of Duck Lake.  We were able to pick up the Jeep the next day and enjoyed a visit to Traverse City for some shopping...and cherries, of course!  We ran our air conditioners in Petoskey and had to use the heater in Interlochen.  (Welcome to unpredictable Michigan weather!) I really liked kayaking the Platte River where we had a bald eagle fly over us.  The girls were smart and got out of river before the guys were spit out into Lake Michigan.  Needless to say, they got a little wet.  After that kayaking trip, we returned to the motor home to find out we had lost all the water in our tank. So, Matt had to break camp and go drive up and refill the tank and then set up everything again.  Since it was only in the 40s in the mornings, I definitely was not too excited about the prospect of being forced to go to the public showers.  We have a motor home so I don't have to do stuff like that.  The only way I'll "camp" is to have my own house on wheels complete with my private bathroom, a full kitchen, heat, and air conditioning.  That's the only way I'll ever rough it.  I'm a princess and I'll be the first to admit it. The first clue is my pretty pink kayak.


I roasted the PERFECT marshmallows!

It was pretty chilly outside, but Cyrus stayed nice and toasty on my lap by the fire wrapped in a blanket.