Friday, May 8, 2015

Changes

Big changes are happening at our home.  The biggest one is the FOR SALE sign on the front lawn.  The second biggest one is the kitchen counter transformation we did ourselves one weekend.  I love the look of stone counter tops, but I refuse to pay the ridiculous price!  Plus, many people get granite and don't know that they can stain and have to be sealed every year.  Our counter transformation wasn't hard, but it did require two people and it did create a mess.  But, it's totally worth any inconvenience...plus, I didn't have to cook for a week!

Our first step was applying the colored adhesive.  Then, working quickly, we applied the granite chips and let them adhere for 24 hours.  Then, we scraped off the excess chips.  Matt sanded and sanded and sanded. Then he sanded some more.  I wiped and wiped and wiped.  Then I wiped some more. Finally, it was time to put on the clear topcoat and...voila!  I LOVE THEM!  I wish we had done this years ago!!  We'd totally recommend the kit to anyone looking to make their counter tops look like new, without spending an incredible amount of money!!

The BEFORE (ugly) counter tops.  (I have been living with battery acid on the back counter for the past 17 years.  That's 17 years too long!)




The kit we used:

The AFTER (fabulous) counter tops:




Oh, we also made another change to the kitchen.  Whoo hoo!  This one was only about 25 years in the making.  But, it's really nice to finally have a water dispenser and an ice maker...other than me!