Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Small Town Sojourns

Matt and I have embarked on a journey of visiting small towns every couple of weeks.  Our first visit was to the small towns of Saugatuck and Douglas along the gorgeous west Michigan shoreline.  We wandered through the towns, did some window shopping and then stopped at a local brewery for lunch.  We ordered a flight of six different homemade beers.  I'm not a beer drinker.  I dutifully tried them all (even one with a promising title of 'Neopolitan')...and decided that I'd much rather drink my pretty, fruity cocktails.

We picked all different beers:  some with chocolate, some with caramel.
Matt keeps telling me that beer is an acquired taste...but I still haven't acquired any I like.


Our latest trip was to Shipshewana, IN to visit the huge flea market and to enjoy some Amish culture and food.  Matt was in all his glory at the flea market and probably could have spent a week digging through the, ahem, treasures.  I didn't get my hands dirty like he did, but I did find a Coach purse for $40, beads to decorate another patio table, and some awesome license plate letters to make a project for the RV.  After two trips to the car with our loot, we headed over to the popular Das Dutchman Essenhaus for a chicken dinner. Yum!

I know the Amish don't want to be photographed, but I didn't think they'd mind the back of the buggy being photographed. 
I just thought this was funny as they passed the speed limit sign.  It's the little things in life that make me laugh!